Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Sockeye

Gyotaku is an ancient Japanese art form of, well, taxidermy I guess. When Japanese fishermen would want to preserve their trophy they would cover the fish in ink and lay paper over, thus making a "print" of the catch. I have been doing these since I was about 12, but only recently got back into the swing of things again and picked up the medium. The process is tedious and there's definitely technique involved to get a respectable print, but every detail - scales, scars, fins, teeth, etc. shows up right there on paper. I take it a little further and add watercolor in just for some realism. Plus it allows me to paint, which I thoroughly enjoy and rarely get time to do anymore. Oh by the way, these are spawning Sockeye Salmon. During fall and winter they travel upstream in a river near my home and turn a beautiful deep red with green heads and tails. The color I've added here doesn't do them justice. Enjoy!